Subject: re: replacing gzip
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/09/2004 22:47:52
   On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 cube@cubidou.net wrote:
   > Whatever the qualities OpenBSD's compress(1) might be, I don't think
   > this is doable.  NetBSD 2.0 (remember, we'll release it some day) will
   > ship with mrg's gzip(1), and we'd better keep it around for some time
   > in -current or we'll have to support 3 different versions of gzip(1)
   > in each of our branch.  I mean, it's already a nightmare...

   Um, if we can use an externally maintained implementation, why not use it
   over an implementation that we have to maintain on our own.

note that i'm quite happy to maintain my gzip.  i think cube
has raised a relevant issue but i don't think it should really
be a deciding factor.

   I cannot comment on either implementation though.
   Being as compatible with GNU gzip (or whatever the rest of the world
   uses) would be nice and resirable though.

i spent a long time ensurely our gzip was as compatible as i
could.  when i looked quite some time ago, that wasn't true
of the openbsd gzip.

.mrg.