Subject: Re: replacing gzip
To: None <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/09/2004 14:27:54
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 cube@cubidou.net wrote:
> Whatever the qualities OpenBSD's compress(1) might be, I don't think
> this is doable.  NetBSD 2.0 (remember, we'll release it some day) will
> ship with mrg's gzip(1), and we'd better keep it around for some time
> in -current or we'll have to support 3 different versions of gzip(1)
> in each of our branch.  I mean, it's already a nightmare...

Um, if we can use an externally maintained implementation, why not use it
over an implementation that we have to maintain on our own.

I cannot comment on either implementation though.
Being as compatible with GNU gzip (or whatever the rest of the world
uses) would be nice and resirable though.

 - Hubert

--
                         ,,_
If wishes were wings,  o"   )~  would fly.            -- Go www.NetBSD.org!