Subject: Re: OT: gunzip|dd causes dd to fail w/ new gzip
To: Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/09/2004 04:39:15
>> it looks as though[%] this is exactly the sort of task it's designed
>> for.
>> [%] Not "like" - doesn't _anyone_ know the difference any longer?!
> Shouldn't it be "as though this _were_ exactly"? ;-)
> (conditional)

I can see either one as acceptable from a grammatical point of view,
but there's a difference of meaning between using the subjunctive and
avoiding it.  It's perhaps easier to see with a simpler example:

"If that is green, I want it!"
- vs -
"If that were green, I would want it!"

The former, by avoiding the subjunctive, indicates that a conditional
structure is being used to express something about immediate fact
rather than the purely hypothetical situation indicated by the
subjunctive.  The shade of meaning I see in my sentence (as compared to
the similar sentence in the subjunctive) is related, but weaker.

But this has little to do with NetBSD.  I've set a reply-to in an
attempt to move it off-list.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign