Subject: Re: src/etc imports for PF
To: None <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/29/2004 16:41:26
> Hi Itojun.
>
> For consistency with the way that we're moving to maintain other
> third party software in our tree, could you please:

	question: consistency with what?  is there any written description,
	or is it your personal preference/rule?  i don't see any prior art on
	this "consistency" thing, so i have no motivation/justification to
	follow your recommendation.  anyways, here are my comments.  i won't
	bother to commit/re-import.

>     1.	Reimport
> 		pf.os
> 		pf.conf
> 		spamd.conf
> 	into
> 		dist/pf/examples
> 	and remove them from
> 		etc
>
>     	Create a reachover Makefile in
> 		usr.sbin/pf/examples
> 	to install these configuration files to
> 		/usr/share/examples/pf
> 	(similar to usr.sbin/ipf/rules/Makefile)

	pf.os is OS fingerprint database, therefore I really want to keep it
	in /etc (just like /etc/moduli used by ssh).

>     2.	Reimport the contents of share/pf into
> 		dist/pf/examples
> 	and remove from
> 		share/pf
>
> 	Update the reachover Makefile in
> 		usr.sbin/pf/examples
> 	(created in the step above) to install them into
> 		/usr/share/examples/pf

	it seems ok to me.

>     3.	Reimport
> 		pflog.4
> 		pf.4
> 		pf.os.5
> 		pf.conf.5
> 		spamd.conf.5
> 	into
> 		dist/pf/man
> 	and remove them from
> 		share/man/man[45]
>
>     	Create a reachover Makefiles under
> 		usr.sbin/pf/man
> 	to install these manual pages
>

>     4.	Relocate the following directories
> 		sbin/pfctl		-> usr.sbin/pf/pfctl
> 		libexec/ftp-proxy	-> usr.sbin/pf/ftp-proxy
> 		libexec/spamd		-> usr.sbin/pf/spamd
> 		libexec/spamd-setup	-> usr.sbin/pf/spamd-setup
> 		libexec/spamlogd	-> usr.sbin/pf/spamlogd
> 		usr.sbin/authpf		-> usr.sbin/pf/authpf
> 		usr.sbin/spamdb		-> usr.sbin/pf/spamdb
> 	(even though they can still be installed in the
> 	same /sbin, /usr/libexec & /usr/sbin locations)

	i do not see benefit of 3 and 4.  4 is just for confuse people
	work on PF source code.

itojun