Subject: Re: 'build.sh install=...' misses .../etc/release
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/27/2004 22:16:20
--ZXNeSuFRAri9EaNk

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:19:45AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
  | This begs the larger question of just /etc should be handled.
  | With postinstall, it's become clear that there are two kinds of files
  | in /etc:
  |=20
  |   those that the user might change, and should be preserved
  |=20
  |   those that are really logically part of /usr, but need to be in /,
  |   and should not normally be changed by the user
  |=20
  | Of course, a user can change anything; this is really about whether
  | there is a reasonable expectation of such changes being preserved
  | across upgrades.
  |=20
  | I put /etc/rc.d/* in the second category, and would argue that
  | anything that '/etc/postinstall fix' has been judged to be in that
  | category.
  |=20
  | So perhaps the "not user changeable" files should go in the base set,
  | rather than etc.   Or a /usretc (not /usr/etc) directory to hold the
  | not-changeable stuff, but that's a disruptive change.

Until we have a solution that easily allows overriding of the rcorder
keywords for a given rc.d script (c.f, PR 16061), we can't move=20
the rc.d scripts from the "etc" set to the "base" set.  Even with
that problems solved, we'd still have to be careful about making
that change.

--ZXNeSuFRAri9EaNk

--ZXNeSuFRAri9EaNk--