Subject: Re: "su" in rescue?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/24/2004 10:42:29
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> when you cannot do power-cycle + singleuser login, nor power-cycle +
> rescue-cd-boot, what would you do?  i have been in such situation
> many times.  most cases it is shlib issue.

Is this a machine where you "cannot (don't want to) power-cycle"?  In
that case, I suppose you could have a statically linked version of su,
possibly with reduced functionality.

Or is this a machine where "power-cycle + singleuser login" doesn't
work, not even when you use "boot -as" (or machine-specific equivalent)
and tell the kernel to run /rescue/init?  I don't see how a /rescue/su
would be of any help here.

--apb (Alan Barrett)