Subject: Re: Enhancing sysctl support in ld.elf_so
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2004 15:25:07
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:05:17AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Jun 21,  1:12am, atatat@atatdot.net (Andrew Brown) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Enhancing sysctl support in ld.elf_so
>
> | >So we should leave things as they are.
> |
> | meaning that ld.elf_so won't use sysctlgetmibinfo() (or, by extension,
> | sysctlbyname())?  that means that any node that ld.elf_so will ever
> | look up will have to be assigned a static mib entry, and that
> | ld.elf_so will continually need to be updated (along with the #defines
> | that describe the static mib) to be able to traverse it.  that's
> | tricky, and was done wrong in the past (cf, the vfs.lfs nodes that i
> | "found" when converting everything which weren't previously available
> | because code to find them was never written).
>
> When was ld.el_so last changed? I don't think that it gets changed that
> frequently.

That's the point.  Using the new API, you'll never have to recompile/update
ld.elf_so when the sysctl tree layout change.  So you'll never forget to do
it.

The "load library on sysctl value" currently allows little more than loading
libm386 with libm and the correct arch lib on sparc.  It can be made more
useful without much trouble apparently.  That's all this thread is about.

Quentin Garnier.