Subject: Re: Enhancing sysctl support in ld.elf_so
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/20/2004 21:10:59
Le Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:47:02 +0200 (CEST)
Jaromir Dolecek a ecrit :
> Quentin Garnier wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > Hi,
> >
> > I made a patch to make ld.elf_so use the new sysctl API instead of the
> > limited functionality it has now.
> >
> > It's handy, but adds 12k to ld.elf_so.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> What new features are provided by the new code, besides
> using the new sysctl API (which is irrelevant) ?

It allows the use of any sysctl variable in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I can't say
it is a must have, but it's clearly handy in some case, such as with
third-party libraries and such that would depend on specific features of
the kernel.

That's why I ask if those 12k are worth the feature, but nobody commented
on that yet.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.