Subject: Re: fork(2) vs. pthread_create() (fwd)
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/10/2004 12:00:49
manu@NetBSD.org (Emmanuel Dreyfus) writes:

> I did that already. But as this works on other systems, and even on
> NetBSD with GNU Pth, I'm sure someone else will get bitten by this
> problem later.

There are lots of areas of standards where the behavior of some
operation or set of operations is undefined. I don't think that we're
generally obligated to define and fix undefined things that other OS's
happen to have; and as much as I like the option, I also don't think
it's worthwhile to make all undefined things fail obviously, to
prevent programmers from accidentally using them.

        - Nathan