Subject: Re: htons - POSIX vs BSD
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@mibh.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/10/2004 07:57:53
--Apple-Mail-86--949392459

On Jun 10, 2004, at 7:24 AM, Klaus Klein wrote:

> You don't have to.  The choice for in_{addr,port}_t was driven by
> 1) long resp. short integers not being the right choice for use in
> wire protocols in the emerging post-ILP32 world, and 2) the group
> which invented these was concerned with (Inter)network application
> programming rather than the definition of an universal byte order
> reversal interface.

Right, I'll just go ahead and clarify that it was a previous version of
X/Open that specified in_addr_t / in_port_t ... I vaguely remember
being involved in changing NetBSD's headers, etc. to align with that
particular specification revision (but my memory is fuzzy, since it was
quite a while ago :-)

--Apple-Mail-86--949392459
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit