Subject: Re: setlocale() doesn't accept language_territory formated locales
To: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@bsdclub.org>
From: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl+netbsd@lists.wasmer.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/08/2004 15:39:23

>>setlocale() requires the ".codebase" in the locale. From the man pages,
>>this is an optional detail.
>>
>>I opened a PR for this: lib/25877
>>

>The description in nls(7) just specifies the possible lexical form of
>a locale name.
>setlocale() is not bad even if it does not accept such omitted form
>for a language, because such form is not available for all languages.
>
>(I do not prefer such ommited form because of ambiguousness...)

Personally I don't care what setlocale() accepts or doesn't accept.
I guess if the man page says the format _is_
language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier]
and setlocale() doesn't accept en_CA then:

either setlocale() is buggy;
or the nls(7) man page is wrong;
or the setlocale(3) man page should specify its own format and not refer
to nls(7)

JL