Subject: bin/10686: rpcbind is brain-damaged
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/04/2004 21:32:56
Hi

I had repeated troubles with ypbind in a computer lab. It was in fact
caused by rpcbind on the server. Sometimes, rpcbind will stop answering
requests from one machine.

This makes NIS barely usable. Randomly, NIS resolution will hang on a
machine, whereas other machines are alright. Rebooting the NIS client
does not fix the problem, because it is really caused by rpcbind on the
server.

As it was getting unmanagable, I finnally hacked rpcbind code to get it
working again. Some code tries to avoid answering the same request
twice, and for some reason I did not understand (the code is really hard
to understand), it will think that any request from a given client was
answered, and it won't service this machine anymore.

My fix is to remove some chunks of code so that it will always answer
even if it's a duplicate. It's an awful hack, but I can't do better.

Now the question: what should I do with that fix?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
Il y a 10 sortes de personnes dans le monde: ceux qui comprennent