Subject: Re: timeout for rc-scripts?
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/03/2004 11:00:37

On Jun 3, 2004, at 2:59 AM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Today, I had a machine hang during startup because ypbind wasn't able
> connect to the NIS server. I wonder if it would be possible to
> implement
> some timeout after which a start-script would either be aborted, or be
> moved into background, and not just hang the boot process (at the
> administrator's decision)?

In the example you use, doing so would be completely inappropriate.

Consider the case of your amd maps coming from NIS.  If you punt on
ypbind and let it try in the background, then amd will start up with no
maps.  Blocking on ypbind is completely appropriate.

If this is to be done at all, it should be done by the service that the
script starts up, and ONLY if doing so is "safe" (i.e. does not lead to
incorrect operation later).

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)