Subject: Re: Adding sha1 hashed passwords
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/29/2004 21:04:59
On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:40:49 -0700, Bill Studenmund writes:
>__sha1crypt is in the library's name space, while crypt_sha1 is in the=20
>application's name space. So __sha1crypt is better for internal uses.

Ok, cool.

>> I extracted the static to64 from md5crypt.c and put it in its
>> own .c file as crypt_to64 and it is now used by __md5crypt, crypt_sha1
>> and pwd_gensalt.  Again, is there a reason the name should be
>> different?
>Same name space stuff as above.

Ok, but in this case pwd_gensalt could use it - rather than his own
copy.  Also pwd_gensalt wants to call crypt_sha1_iterations - to
compute a random variation from the number of rounds specidied in

Its obviously bad form for pwd_gensalt to call library __internal
routines... so make them public, be daring, or replicate the
functionality in pwd_gensalt?

>If it's in as crypt_sha1, yes, as it's an externally-visable symbol.

Ok, so that would be a reason to change the name, but what to do about
to64 (freebsd calls this _crypt_to64 fwiw) and sha1_iterations?