Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/18/2004 12:30:38
--dFWYt1i2NyOo1oI9

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:21:29PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Depends on what you're doing.  MIME does define a binary=20
> representation, though you can't generallyuse it for email.

Indeed, and even apart from binary-MIME, the "openssl smime .." tools
can output the underlying PKCS#7 structure in S/MIME, base64 PEM, or
binary DER format.

Again, my main reason for mentioning the smime part of openssl(1) was
simply that it's the closest analogy, command-line-usage wise, to gpg
- which was part of the original question.

So, there are many cats, and they have all been skinned differently,
but where are we trying to herd them?

--
Dan.

--dFWYt1i2NyOo1oI9