Subject: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/12/2004 23:32:48
I'd really like the ability to be able to add digital signatures
to a number of things, including binary packages, and to do that,
I would need to add a program like gpg to the base system.

Unfortunately, gpg is licensed under the GPL, and, in lieu of a
BSD-licensed clone, I don't really see any alternative to adding
gpg as one of the GPL-licensed programs built via reachover
Makefiles.

So I'd just like to ask anyone who really dislikes this idea to
write a BSD-licensed gpg clone, perhaps based on openssl, or to
tell me why adding gpg to src/gnu is a bad idea, and what other
alternatives there are.

I know Luke also wanted to add a different GPL-licensed program,
so I'll let him speak now that I've stolen his thunder.

Regards,
Alistair