Subject: Re: 2.0: sendmail has wrong owner/group
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/20/2004 01:17:36
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Indeed. The option is only there to permit the "traditional"
> behavior for those who like that sort of thing.

but the only reason to run sendmail is "tradition". and traditionally,
it used to run without shouting.

> IMO the comment
> for sendmail_suidroot should say, "Don't set this unless you know
> what you're doing!"

sure, but it's also "don't run sendmail unelss you know..", then you get
"don't run ... unless", ... and then finally "don't run netbsd unless
you know".

or are we to get those win32 dialg boxes "are you really sure you wanna
do what you tried to do?".

are we to get /netbsd refusing to boot and saying
"ahem. since there is no proof that no security hole is present,
I, the netbsd kernel, have decided to boycott this world of crackers,
and thus, I won't boot. boot me on amiga or don't".

If a program is installed, it should run and shut his mouth. This is the
best a program can do (the second best thing is not to have bugs, but
history has shown that we can beat'em all the day, these f** progs still
have ones).

It's already an effort to install the stuff. If one still needs to chmod
73 binaries, to rm 33 files, to create 103 config files, then it's not
netbsd, it's MasOS XXX.

cheers,
mouss