Subject: Re: inb, outb, i386_set_ioperm and such
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.freeshell.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/28/2004 15:33:42
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:18:16AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:25:06AM -0700, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> > I'm porting TiLP to NetBSD.
>
> What is that?

From http://tilp.info:

"TiLP is a linking program for Texas Instruments' graphing calculators.
TiLP works on several platforms (UNIX, Windows, Macintosh). It can
handle any TI calculator (from TI73 to V200) with any link cable.
TiLP has all the functions of a linking program and even more."

> > * Are the following definitions of inb() and outb() from FreeBSD 5.2
> >   appropriate?
>
> If TiLP is anything not only related to i386 machines (in which case this
> would be the wrong mailing list), generally this instructions should be
> avoided, since they are very machine dependend. Without any background we can
> hardly recommend alternatives.

TiLP _should_ not platform specific, but as those of us who create
packages well know, there are hordes of idiots out there whose mission
in life is to make easy things hard. In this particular case, the
developer has decided to use inb/outb on 0x3f8 rather than read/write
on tty00. Please don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Anyway, a private reply directed me to x86/pio.h where I found an
appropriate NetBSD version.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.freeshell.org> http://bjan.freeshell.org