Subject: Re: utf-8 and userland
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2004 10:55:27
> Yes, and I'm at least somewhat inclined to that point of view.  But I'm
> also somewhat inclined to the contrary; I don't like the idea of
> someone naming a file with an escape sequence to program a terminal's
> answerback message and then request the terminal send its answerback,
> then wait until root does an ls on it.

I've seen some people get VERY confused by a filename that caused
a terminal to send its answerback message.  Fortunately the
answerback message hadn't been set (so wasn't evil).

Remember that ls has to know how many screen positions a filename
will take in order to generate multi-column output.
UTF-8 filenames just plain break it.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk