Subject: Re: video acceleration
To: tech-userlevel <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.freeshell.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/07/2004 22:33:22
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:43:26PM -0800, Dave wrote:

> Lately I've wanted to do some heavier graphical stuff on my NetBSD
> machinery.  I can't seem to figure out what must be done to use the full
> capabilities of my card (Radeon 7000)

Presumably you are talking about XFree86 DRI/DRM; in which case, join
the club :-)

The NetBSD DRI code suffers very badly from bitrot. I have never known
it work since I started using NetBSD, in May of last year. Several
people have offered bounties of various sizes in exchange for working
drivers for their card; I have $50 for my Radeon 7500. Finally, I
believe that one of the few NetBSD people who specialized in DRI
suffered an untimely death recently (c.f. the dedication of NetBSD
1.6.2).

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.freeshell.org> http://bjan.freeshell.org