Subject: is netbsd resolver reentrant?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040220T114511@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/20/2004 11:57:48
Is the netbsd-current resolver (and libc for that matter) reentrant?
I'm trying to characterize a hang I'm seeing very frequently with
galeon and more occasionally on mozilla-gtk.

Sometimes mozilla can be tricked into updating the statusbar to say
what it is hanging on.  (click the stop icon, go into the URL window,
hit <CR>).  When I did that just now mozilla-gtk says:

     Resolving Host www.BIGCOMPANY.com...

Now I can resolve the same FQDN from an xterm using host(), so it
isn't like my local named doesn't have, or can't get the information.

(In the case I just looked at there was no rDNS for the IP I got for
the forward lookup.  Not sure if that effected things.  Reproducing
this bug on demand isn't that easy.)

-wolfgang