Subject: Re: chmod(1) and '+X'
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/17/2004 13:45:47

"Perry E. Metzger" <> wrote:

> Certainly adding the bit is wrong in the - case.
> However, what it *should* do is also unclear. What do other chmod's
> do? the -X thing seems ambiguous with respect to files at least.

IRIX' chmod and GNU chmod remove the 'x' bit.

> I don't know why you would want to REMOVE the bit differently from
> dirs and files, though -- it seems like the semantics are less than
> obvious.

True enough.  I had just noticed that adding the bit is wrong.  I'd say
that 'X' should work with '-' as it should with '+':  that is, perform
the operation (+/-) on all files/dirs that have the 'x' bit set.

This one's tricky. You have to use imaginary numbers, like eleventeen...

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)