Subject: Re: screen in dist
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/17/2004 01:17:19
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:

> For what it's worth, screen is on the short list of programs I install
> right away on every new host, and window isn't the equivalent at all.
> Screen is especially useful on older machines which will never have
> virtual consoles.

I use window for that. The only useful thing that screen has is the
ability to detach/attach a session and I wouldn't mind seeing code
added to window for that (I may even be volunteering in a couple of
months :-).

In case this helps, here is my .windowrc file which will transform
the default setup into a "virtual console"-like display. (^Px to go to
window x) Note that window is quite versatile and you can get it to do
many useful things.

 Aymeric

window(,,,,,compilation)
window