Subject: Re: screen in dist
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/16/2004 14:03:31
[ On Friday, January 16, 2004 at 15:29:00 (+0100), Jaromir Dolecek wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: screen in dist
>
> Screen is perfectly happy pkgsrc camper. Some surely use it,
> but many don't. As such, I don't see any reason to move
> it into base system.

Indeed.

Screen also has a rather terrible security record, and if nothing else
that means it's likely to continue to need upgrading far more often than
NetBSD seems to manage to put out patch releases.  ;-)

(Of course screen wouldn't need to run as root if NetBSD had an
independent and more secure way of granting PTY device file privileges
without having to make nearly every program that allocates PTYs into a
setuid-root monster.)

--
						Greg A. Woods