Subject: Re: screen in dist
To: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/16/2004 08:03:34
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 01:45:04PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
> > > I'd like to see screen in dist, any objections?
> >
> > You mean you want to include the program that's currently located in
> > pkgsrc/misc/screen into the main NetBSD source?

> > If so: Veto -> bloat. Use pkgsrc.
>
> It's tiny!

"Bloat" isn't much of a reason. Complaining that every new feature,
program or driver is "bloat", is "fundamental conservatism", which is
fundamentally irrational, as it leaves no basis for discussion. There
may be other reasons, such as the security implications of detaching
root sessions.

For what it's worth, screen is on the short list of programs I install
right away on every new host, and window isn't the equivalent at all.
Screen is especially useful on older machines which will never have
virtual consoles.

Frederick