Subject: Re: Progress meter for fsck, revisited
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/13/2004 15:25:20
--Apple-Mail-14--907644050

On Jan 13, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> .. and you're going to hold your breath until you turn blue, I see.

I don't think it's worth over-complicating a cute feature that you have
to choose to turn on.  This is not enabled by default.  If you want
cute, you have to give up something.  In my particular application, I
need the cute, and the trade-off is completely acceptable.  What's the
problem?

> I think this change sucks. It's cute to have the progress-bar output,
> but parallel fsck is sufficently useful for speed that it means the
> progress bar can only be used in single-filesystem configurations,
> which rules out many configurations. Why add the progress bar if it's
> so completely limited?

In the applications where I need them, there is typically only one
(very large) file system, and the start-up scripts that handle this
don't enable parallelism in any case.

Just because parallelism is disabled, doesn't mean you can't use it in
multi-filesystem configurations!  I don't know where on earth you got
that idea.

If NetBSD doesn't want the changes, fine.  No skin off my back.

--Apple-Mail-14--907644050
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-14--907644050--