Subject: Re: Progress meter for fsck, revisited
To: Greywolf <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/13/2004 15:09:46

On Jan 13, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Greywolf wrote:

> parallelisation is on by default?  Still think it'd be possible
> to meter-merge it (the same way as is done with preen).  Since you have
> to evaluate the order in which to run in parallel, nothing stopping ya
> from getting the FS sizes ahead of time and adding them up...

Meter-merging a parallel preen is difficult; the processes run
separately, and the parallelism is "one worker per disk", not "one
worker per file system to check", so it is staged if you have multiple
file systems per disk.

It's a complicated thing to merge all that output, I made the conscious
decision not to do it, and I don't intend to change my mind on the

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)