Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: mouss <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/07/2004 18:34:00

On Jan 7, 2004, at 3:26 PM, mouss wrote:

> Also, the problem isn't just for host to IP or IP to host, it's also a
> problem for getting the MX, and the like (so modifying gethostbystuff
> doesn't solve the issue, if we happen to agree there's an issue).

There's not just MX... There's:

	* Hesiod, used by getpwnam(), etc.

	* Anything that uses TXT records.

	* The Kerberos 5 libraries (which uses SRV records to locate Kerberos

There are lots of things that use the resolver, which need to have
proper "re-init" semantics.

> Of course, this will cause trouble to those who relied on the
> "misfeature" to use differnt resolv.conf for differnt apps. But
>  hey have been clever enough to do that, so they can be clever enough
> to get around any modifications.

I think anyone who relied on this behavior deserves to lose by virtue
of the behavior basically being undefined.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)