Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/05/2004 19:40:34
[ On Monday, January 5, 2004 at 15:39:10 (-0800), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
>
> You must have been to a great many sites (like around 1,000,000 of them)
> to be able to make a claim like this.

I've probably seen many more network configs than you!  ;-)

> NIS kind of needs a domainname in order to run properly (hint: ypbind
> doesn't take a "-d domain" argument, last I looked, although "ypserv"
> does...).

Note I said "NIS domains" -- I didn't say "no domainname", nor did I
mean to imply that "domainname" returned an empty string.

Note "ypserv"'s -d option has nothing to do with domainname, but rather
is how you tell it to use the DNS for host information (which on systems
with nsswitch.conf can usually only cause more confusion ;-).

Note FreeBSD's domainname(1) documentation contains this useful hint
as well:

  NOTA BENE
     The YP/NIS (formerly ``Yellow Pages'' but renamed for legal reasons)
     domain name does not necessarily have anything to do with the Domain Name
     System domain name, although they are often set equal for administrative
     convenience.

--
						Greg A. Woods