Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/2004 17:34:19
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Sean Davis wrote:

> My point was that there really isn't much use for X-over-ssh on a
> trusted(-enough) network. The advantage you point out is about the only one
> I can think of, and I don't think it outweighs the protocol overhead of
> running X through ssh.

There are situations where the overhead is not important. I have used ssh
with encryption on a network where rsh would have been sufficient, simply
to provide X forwarding. Sure, I wouldn't want to run mozilla or KDE over
that, but in the case where a build requires a connection to an X server
just to run a test program, or in the case of running small applications,
the protocol overhead and even the encryption overhead are negligible in
comparison to the convenience gained.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget