Subject: Re: the state of regex(3)
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/2004 14:24:27
[ On Friday, January 2, 2004 at 18:01:15 (+0900), T.SHIOZAKI wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: the state of regex(3)
> > I've been hunting around off and on for a couple of years now for a
> > POSIX compatible ERE library to replace NetBSD's regex with, but
> > unfortunately I haven't found many that are _not_ currently covered by
> > the GNU copyright licence, and not even many that are ready with POSIX
> > compatability.
> How about "oniguruma" regex library?

I did not know about it before!  Thank you very much for the pointer!

(I also jumped to the conclusion that it was written in Ruby for some

I see it has a very simple and BSD-like copyright.  It seems to be quite
well documented, and it also seems to handle several imporant non-ASCII
character encodings.  I will try to find time to have a much closer look
at it in the very near future.

I also forgot almost entirely about TRE, though luckily it appeared on
FreshMeat today!  ;-)

I wasn't able to benchmark it last time I dove into this subject because
it was dumping core on me.  However now there's a new release to try!  :-)

Unfortunately TRE has a GPL copyright.

						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>          Secrets of the Weird <>