Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/2004 11:50:59
>> i have most of a bsd-licenced netcat implementation written that
>> addresses this, as well as other "failings" of the original netcat
>> implementation (cleaner code, support for ipv6 and local domain
>> sockets).
>
>The devil is in the details. I'm not sure what the best tool for this
>sort of thing is, but I guess a netcat-style tool is the most generic
>and flexible.

netcat is probably not the "best" too, since one can also use rdist or
rsync or rdump or something, depending on what you're doing, but
netcat is certainly a damn good tool to have around.

>Code review early and often :)

aye.  it needs some finishing and polishing, but i'll send it out for
review once i'm happy with it.  damn those crazy connection
semantics...

>> i'll put it in /bin when i'm done.
>
>Why not /usr/bin? (I'm not sure I'm convinced it belongs in the base
>as well, but I really don't know how to decide.)

because it's purpose is more simple and basic, as with all the other
stuff in /bin, and it represents a crude command line interface to
sockets that can be used to aid in restoring /usr when /usr is not
available.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."