Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/01/2004 14:36:44
[ On Thursday, January 1, 2004 at 08:23:30 (-0500), John Hawkinson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
>
> However, Andrew's point about semantic changes still holds -- in
> some cases it is desirable to edit resolv.conf and expect
> previously started applications to continue their behavior; an
> option to preserve this does not seem too far-fetched to me.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean there.

I usually expect I have to SIGHUP daemons to inform them of any changes
I've made to their configuration files and otherwise they will not take
effect until/unless the program is restarted.

Indeed even when I know a program will check on its own for changes in
its config files I find that I (and everyone else I know) will still
want to SIGHUP it just to be sure.

--
						Greg A. Woods