Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/01/2004 17:21:37
On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 01:43:23PM -0500, John Hawkinson wrote:
> > >OK, would a message to syslog be acceptable ?
> >
> > I don't think any message is necessary.
>
> I think a message should appear when RES_OPTIONS=debug is set.

I'll look at this

> I'm a bit puzzled at all the clamoring for this change. Why don't
> people simply run local caching resolvers? It's far better on the
> network (though increases the memory footprint some).

Sometimes the cache on the local nameserver is annoying (when you
use a laptop on a network which offsers different IPs for the
same host, depending on the network you're pluged into).
Also, the various network connecting tools (xisp, dhclient, ...) knows
how to change /etc/resolv.conf, not the nameserver's config.

> If we're actually going to propose a filesystem access on every
> nameservice check (i.e. fstat() or lstat()), I think that is not an
> appropriate change if it is mandatory, and it should be controlled by
> an option. I'd also like to have a better understanding of its

Could be. But then, we're diverging even more from the original code.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>