Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/01/2004 05:07:12

On Dec 31, 2003, at 10:43 AM, John Hawkinson wrote:

> I'm a bit puzzled at all the clamoring for this change. Why don't
> people simply run local caching resolvers? It's far better on the
> network (though increases the memory footprint some).

Because local caching name servers are not necessarily always what you
want.  Perhaps you want to use a name server that does not publish some
information to the public DNS.  Perhaps you are an embedded system and
the size of the name server binaries blow your flash space budget.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)