Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-userlevel@bjan.net>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/31/2003 14:40:11
On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:48:13PM -0700, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
>  * Have we considered removing r{sh,cmd,cp} from the base distribution?
>    They are of dubious security and utility, and, I think, OpenBSD has
>    already ditched them.

This year I had to configure a RH Linux box to integrate into our
business network. Oops, no tftp. Wow, it's really annoying having to
use a Unix box that doesn't have the "usual" stuff preinstalled. [*]

Packages aren't useful or at least aren't helpful in some cases, like when
package installation requires crossing administrative lines. If I'm trying
to get work done I hate having to go hunt down the guy who installs
packages. Once I find the guy he then makes me wait until he can get around
to doing an install. After all, he has other work to do as well. What
a PITA.

I was, um, unimpressed when OpenBSD ditched them. I do not consider OpenBSD
doing this to be a relevant factor in deciding whether or not NetBSD should
eliminate them.

I strongly object to removing r* from the base kit.

[*] As if that wasn't enough fun, in order to install the tftp RPMs I
had to first install rpm4. To install the rpm4 RPMs I had to first
install rpm4. Bwaaah??? D*mnit. Don't laugh. Updates to our pkg tools
can create a vaguely similar situation in our case.
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600