Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/31/2003 13:43:23
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote on Wed, 31 Dec 2003
at 09:33:55 -0800 in <81FB27EB-3BB7-11D8-A1C7-000A957650EC@wasabisystems.com>:

> On Dec 31, 2003, at 7:10 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> >OK, would a message to syslog be acceptable ?
>
> I don't think any message is necessary.

I think a message should appear when RES_OPTIONS=debug is set.

I'm a bit puzzled at all the clamoring for this change. Why don't
people simply run local caching resolvers? It's far better on the
network (though increases the memory footprint some).

If we're actually going to propose a filesystem access on every
nameservice check (i.e. fstat() or lstat()), I think that is not an
appropriate change if it is mandatory, and it should be controlled by
an option. I'd also like to have a better understanding of its
performance effects, especially on slow machines.

--jhawk