Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Nathan J. Williams <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/29/2003 19:49:35

On Dec 29, 2003, at 7:04 PM, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> I think we should keep the r* commands because people use them and I
> believe in supplying rope, but I think that anyone who uses them in
> the belief that some part of their network is "private" and thereby
> secure is setting themselves up for a nasty surprise.

It is easy to set up completely private networks, that have no
connection to an outside world, with no way to connect to that network
except by having physical access to it.

Such networks are perfect candidates for the r* commands.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)