Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-userlevel@bjan.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/29/2003 06:08:23
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
>  * Have we considered removing UUCP from the base distribution? It
>    seems to be there just for old times' sake (*duck*). We would get
>    rid of a bunch of GNU code, to boot.

Someone using UUCP would need to maintain the pkg.
I have the start of a uucp pkg somewhere...

>  * Have we considered removing r{sh,cmd,cp} from the base distribution?
>    They are of dubious security and utility, and, I think, OpenBSD has
>    already ditched them.

I object against using rsh/rcp unless that's added back to ssh.
There are cases where ssh is just too heavyweighted/has too much overhead.

>  * The man page to regex(3), circa 1994, claims that regex(3) is "an
>    alpha release with known defects." As it has been rigorously tested
>    for almost 10 years, could we remove that comment?

Um... Thomas? :)

 - Hubert

--
  ___ _ _  _   _        * Harddisk Image Cloning *
 / __| | || | | |           www.feyrer.de/g4u/