Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Tomasz Luchowski <tomasz@luchowski.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/28/2003 20:29:09
On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 05:54:35PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> with the current libc resolver, /etc/resolv.conf is read on first call to a
> resolver function, and never re-read again. Any changes to /etc/resolv.conf
> require restarting all applications making use of the resolver.
>
> I found this really annoying on my laptop (I have to restart mozilla every time
> I get online), so I came with the attached hack. Linux is probably already
> rereading /etc/resolv.conf on change, because I didn't have this issue when
> I used the linux netscape4 binary.

I had a similar problem - I started mozilla, the net "didn't work". I hacked resolv.conf,
and it still didn't work, and the reason it didn't start working was beyond me, because I assumed
resolv.conf was always re-read... in summary, this does seem to be a cool change :-)

--
/* Tomasz Luchowski <tomasz@luchowski.com> */