Subject: Re: cvs 1.11.10 will be imported
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/13/2003 15:10:48
[ On Thursday, December 11, 2003 at 15:50:00 (-0600), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cvs 1.11.10 will be imported
>
> Not easy. "cvs add" balks. I had to move it out of the way first:

If I'm not mistaken about what you're trying to do here, this is an
example of one of the problems that will be encountered when trying to
use normal branches in modules which were created with a vendor branch
by "cvs import", especially if "cvs import" is ever used again.

The whole concept of CVS vendor branches is fundamentally incompatible
with "normal" branches.

It cannot be "fixed".  The only real solution is "don't do that!"

I.e. do not use "cvs import" and do not try to use CVS vendor branches
to track code in modules that will need to be branched with normal
CVS branches.

If it is really necessary to track vendor changes in a module that must
also have normal branches then the only workable way to do this is to
give the vendor a "normal" branch and to manually add/commit vendor
releases to that branch.

Fixing this mistake in existing modules isn't easy.  Unmodified files
which have revisions newer than 1.1.1.1 on the vendor branch have to
have those changes moved to the trunk and copied to any other branches,
and the default branch has to be switched to the trunk, and then the
vendor branch and all revisions on it have to be deleted.  Sometimes
files might have to be moved out of the Attic too.

--
						Greg A. Woods