Subject: Re: make -j and failure modes
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: James Chacon <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/13/2003 01:29:12
On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:11:37PM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >>Why can't this be fixed by using ``|| exit $?\n'' instead of ``\n'' as
> >>the separator for the merged input fed to sh -e when using make -j ?
> I was all set to argue against this (thinking still of the automatic
> chdir ${.CURDIR} stuff), but on 2nd thoughts I don't see
> any great harm in it.

As far as Makefile churn: 23 Makefiles of which 3 had anything major needed

I do agree adding the || syntax is probably better. Let me look at a Shell
structure for make that will fit this and test it.

I did a build over the last day of all arch/machine combos and it's a lot
cleaner regardless of how this works out in the end.

> >I even suggested to use " &&\n"
> I like this even better.

This one presents a harder problem in correcting echo'ing commands and
seeing which one caused the error.

> If we do the '&&\n', can we get rid of -e?  Its pretty useless anyway.

Parsing the output is the problem here.