Subject: Re: nightly report "network" section.
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/12/2003 23:17:03
Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de> writes:
> Why are you changing the default behaviour?
>
> IMHO it should be reversed. Its you who want a smaller output.

Default settings on the nightly reports are meant to deliver reports
that are maximally useful to the greatest number of people. The
illegible wider-than-eighty-columns, filled-with-redundant-lines old
version conveyed very little information to the average person,
especially when confronted with seeing it come from 10 different
machines every night. It wasn't even possible to scan down the lines
to read for unusual numbers of network errors which was, after all,
the reason for the report. After a while you just start ignoring the
mail, which does no one any good.

I think the change makes the report much more useful for new users,
and most of the email I've gotten on the subject has thanked me for
it. Those who for whatever reason (I find it unfathomable why one
would want the other version, but it isn't my business) want the old
report, it is still available with only moments of editing.

I therefore will not reverse the change unless there is strong
consensus to do so or unless Core requests it -- naturally I would bow
to either. If you wish, however, I'm happy to have a discussion with
you and Core on the subject.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com