Subject: Re: cvs 1.11.10 will be imported
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/2003 09:02:18
--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:04:01AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> > You have a file with local changes. Someone deletes the file from cvs,
> > putting the ,v file in the Attic. You cvs update, then you check in your
> > changes. You bring the file back to life, but the ,v file stays in the
> > Attic. So future checkouts won't pick it up unless you mention it by na=
me.
>=20
> Ah... that explains a lot. I have pulled files out of the Attic with
> "cvs add", but if someone removes it after you've modified it, you
> might not know to do that. I bet there's a message when you update
> ("...not safe to delete", or something to that effect), but you could
> miss that.

I don't recall any messages at all. Back in 2001, I created a test case,=20
and it printed nothing. It was short enough that you wouldn't need to=20
worry about lost messages. :-)

> > This issue recently surfaced with files in src/sys.
> >
> > You can see my efforts at resolving the issue in revisions 1.12 and 1.23
> > of pkgsrc/net/ucd-snmp-current/Makefile .
>=20
> This is an old issue, not just a problem with 1.11.10, is it not?

Correct. The comment was more that telling the cvs maintainers about bugs=
=20
doesn't mean they get fixed, rather than 1.11.10 should not be checked in.

Take care,

Bill

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--