Subject: Re: cvs 1.11.10 will be imported
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/2003 08:04:01
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/12/05/0008.html, for a
> > > very recent recent one.  This was also noted repeatedly in
> > > project-internal circulation.
> >
> > 	has anyone reported the issue to cvshome.org?
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure if it would help. In 2001 I sent a bug report
> in to the cvs folks, complete with test case. Here's the scenario:
>
> You have a file with local changes. Someone deletes the file from cvs,
> putting the ,v file in the Attic. You cvs update, then you check in your
> changes. You bring the file back to life, but the ,v file stays in the
> Attic. So future checkouts won't pick it up unless you mention it by name.

Ah... that explains a lot. I have pulled files out of the Attic with
"cvs add", but if someone removes it after you've modified it, you
might not know to do that. I bet there's a message when you update
("...not safe to delete", or something to that effect), but you could
miss that.

> This issue recently surfaced with files in src/sys.
>
> You can see my efforts at resolving the issue in revisions 1.12 and 1.23
> of pkgsrc/net/ucd-snmp-current/Makefile .

This is an old issue, not just a problem with 1.11.10, is it not?

Frederick