Subject: Re: nightly report "network" section.
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@NetBSD.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/2003 09:47:27
I'm not sure I really understand what the point of the daily report
is in its current form.

Can anyone articulate that usefully?

I wonder if it mightn't be better if it operated like the security
report, mostly silent, only printing information when thresholds
were crossed? (just a thought, I'm not prepared to argue in favor
of it...)

Ignatios Souvatzis <is@NetBSD.org> wrote on Sun,  7 Dec 2003
at 17:27:33 +0100 in <20031207162733.GB2349@beverly.kleinbus.org>:

> while the packet statistics are more readable... the address
> information might well be useful to have a log of whether the
> addresses changed. And the * devices might be useful to see whether
> devices were configured/unconfigured.

I think those are primarily security concerns. As such, I would suggest you
have the /etc/security script cache that data (as it cache's /etc
config file data, etc.) and report differences as part of its report.

--jhawk