Subject: Re: nightly report "network" section.
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
From: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/2003 12:57:24
Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi> writes:
> Since if netstat produces too verbose output, why not add an option to
> netstat itself to print only the useful fields instead of introducing
> weird cut-magic, which will fail when someone decides to pretty-print
> the output.

They already have a pretty print vs. non pretty option -- I'm making
use of that. :)

> The trimmed output might be nice in other situations also.

I'm happy to change daily to use such a hack to netstat. However, I'm
not sure that the trimmed output is useful enough that I'm willing to
spend the time hacking netstat -- my real "itch" is reducing the
output on the nightly report. If you want to do the netstat hack,
please feel free. I can suggest a couple of flags I'd like to see (one
to say "only show up interfaces", one to say to only show each
interface once and suppress the address info, etc.)

Perry