Subject: Re: nightly report "network" section.
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/2003 18:56:59
On Sun Dec 07 2003 at 17:27:33 +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:09:24AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > Would anyone mind if I replaced that with
> > netstat -in | cut -c 1-6,44-80 | fgrep -v "*" | uniq
> > which would produce this far more elegant and IMHO far more useful report?:
> >
> > network:
> > Name      Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs Colls
> > lo0        1948     0     1948     0     0
> > wi0      544786     0   359623   115  5279
>
> while the packet statistics are more readable... the address information
> might well be useful to have a log of whether the addresses changed. And the
> * devices might be useful to see whether devices were configured/unconfigured.
>
> Maybe split it into an active interface statistics section (like you proposed)
> and the full stuff, maybe with the statistics columns removed?

"it" being netstat?

Since if netstat produces too verbose output, why not add an option to
netstat itself to print only the useful fields instead of introducing
weird cut-magic, which will fail when someone decides to pretty-print
the output.  The trimmed output might be nice in other situations also.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/