Subject: sshd config?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/27/2003 22:34:11
I'm poking around, trying to actually _understand_ ssh.  In the course
of this, I'm experimenting against a 1.6.1 system, and I want to use
the "none" algorithms for encryption, compression, and MAC computation
so I can watch what's going on without having to worry that I've not
got the corresponding algorithms right (and so that I can watch the
protocol more simply than having to poke at the innards of the software
on the two ends).

I find that the 1.6.1 sshd advertises "none" as an acceptable
compression method.  But it doesn't advertise "none" for either
encryption or MAC computation, and while I did find the Ciphers and
MACs config options, sshd refuses to run if I add ",none" to the
Ciphers default mentioned in the manpage.  (It's not a syntax error,
either, because if I remove that but leave the rest of the line
untouched, it's happy.)

What does it take to make sshd willing to run with "none"?  (Yes, I
know this negates approximately all security benefits ssh may bring; I
am _not_ doing this on a machine accessible from the global Internet!
I may be crazy, but I'm not totally nonsentient.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign