Subject: Re: sysctl(8) and sysctl(3) out of sync with reality
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/26/2003 09:23:49
>	it seems sysctl(8) and sysctl(3) are not up-to-date with the latest
>	kernel.  and net.inet6.ip6.ifq is broken (could someone fix it?  i just
>	copied the code from IPv4).

i saw those fixes (they conflicted with my local changes and merely
required being excised from the code) when i updated my sysctlng tree.
i had already picked those nodes up by design, not through any
directed intention (and net.inet.ip.random_id, even though i hadn't
recompiled my local sysctl(8) binary).

and...i think i've almost gotten sysctlng to the point where i won't
feel like everything will break (though a lot probably will) if i
commit it...  :)

fwiw, sysctl(8) is also missing these nodes:

	vfs.lfs.flushindir = 1
	vfs.lfs.clean_vnhead = 0
	vfs.lfs.dostats = 1
	vfs.samba.version = 101013

the former three because no one taught it to look at lfs, and the
latter one because there's no place to hang something that has no
assigned number.  sysctlng doesn't require assigned numbers (if you
don't have a number, it gives you one), so this is no longer a
problem.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."